A type of flavored flatbread. The focaccia evolved from the Etruscan version of flatbread, and has always been made in the area known today as Italy - it has been a well-known food in Rome for a very long time. Before ovens, it was simply baked on a hot stone under a mound of hot ashes. It may have been the precursor of pizza, as it also can have more toppings than just herbs. It is often eaten brushed with, or dipped in olive oil.

The word itself is derived from the Latin word "focus", or hearth.

For the best focaccia, high gluten flour is recommended, though bread flour will often do rather well. Also, fresh herbs are highly recommended to get the true aroma of the bread going - and if you are going to use basil, only use fresh.

Standard Foccacia Recipe:

2 3/4 C high gluten or bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 C water
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Note: this recipe does not mention any herbs or other toppings you may wish to put on the bread - this is just a starting point. Recommendations include fresh basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, and garlic.

In a bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, and any herbs you may want to use. Mix in 1 tbsp olive oil and water. Mix into a dough (add tiny amounts of flour or water if it's too wet/dry)

Once it's come together into a dough, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic. Lightly oil a large bowl, and place the dough into the bowl, turning until it's completely coated. (This will help prevent a "skin" forming on the dough) Cover the bowl with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes.

In the meantime, preheat the oven to about 450 degrees F.

After the 20 minutes, punch down the dough, and place into a baking tray with raised edges. Spread out until even thickness, ideally about 1/2 inch. Brush with olive oil, and add any toppings you may want - more fresh herbs, perhaps, or garlic, sun-dried tomato, onion, or freshly grated cheeses such as parmesan or mozzarella.

Bake for about 15 minutes, should be a nice golden brown. Serve warm, with olive oil for dipping.

Here is what is supposedly the focaccia served at Romano's Macaroni Grill. (Like the Penne Rustica recipe, there are copies of this all around the net) It does appear to be prepared a little more traditionally, flat in a pan, instead of just as a round loaf.

Romano's Macaroni Grill Foccacia:

9 T Olive oil, divided
3 C unsifted all purpose flour
3/4 C unsifted semolina flour (note that regular semolina is NOT semolina flour)
2/3 t salt, divided
1 1/2 T quick-rising dry yeast
1 1/2 C hot (between 120 and 130° F.) milk
1 T fresh rosemary leaves

Pour a scant tablespoon of the olive oil into a 9 inch square cake pan; spread evenly to cover bottom and sides. Place all purpose flour, semolina flour, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and all of the yeast in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Blend ingredients on medium speed. Reduce speed to low and slowly add hot milk. Raise the speed to medium and continue mixing for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle bottom of cake pan with a little flour. Remove dough from bowl and spread out evenly in pan. Cover with a towel and let rest for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400° F.

Remove towel. Brush dough with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle top with additional salt and rosemary. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with remaining oil. Makes 6 - 8 servings.

Note: There is no substitute for the semolina.