A bowling term referring to the location where the bowling ball needs to be thrown for the best chance of a strike.

For a right-hander, the pocket is coming in slightly from the right, hitting the one and three pins. It's on the opposite side for the lefty, at the one and two pins.

This location gets the maximum "pin action" - the bouncing, rolling, and the like, that will create the most potential for a strike. Because of the way the pins are set up, a shot that hits right in the center of the pins (often known as "punching the nose"), will be unlikely to yield a strike, often resulting in a split. (4-6-7-10, 4-7-10, 6-7-10, and 7-10 all common, depending on the angle and some luck)

A pocket shot does not guarantee a strike - there are some other variables involved, mainly the angle the ball comes in from, that can yield less than all ten pins down. Both seven and ten pins are common sights to the experienced bowler, and other odd arrangements can come out of a glancing blow to the pocket.

A pocket shot is also not necessary for a strike - dumb luck can yield one occasionally, and hitting the pocket on the other side (known as a "brooklyn" shot) can yield one also.

A perfect pocket shot is a sight to behold, as all ten pins will quickly be cleared from the lane, an it has a very unmistakable sound.