The Boardwalk is located on Snig Hill in Sheffield's city centre. Originally called the Black Swan when it opened in the 1960's, it came to be affectionately known as the 'Mucky Duck', and later underwent another name change to 'The Compleat Angler'. The name now seems to have settled on The Boardwalk, at least for the time being...

Under any name, it remains one of Sheffield's premier live music venues, and has been the testing ground for many seminal bands such as The Sex Pistols and The Clash in 1976, through to the likes of Joe Cocker and Ian Dury and The Blockheads.

Today, The Boardwalk hosts live musical events throughout the week, from old-time regulars such as Strongheart and The Muffin Men, to showcases of new, unsigned talent from the Sheffield area. The venue boasts a diverse bar, plenty of seating as well as standing/dancing space, and a comfortable stage with a powerful P.A system (bring your ear plugs) and mixing setup. The low ceiling, dark, bare floorboards and interesting wall artwork give an almost cave-like feeling to the place. The bands are always friendly as well as being close to the audience, giving The Boardwalk its relaxed, informal atmosphere. Entry fees can be set by the acts playing at the time, usually ~3£, or may be free depending on the kind of event taking place.

Recently, another bar-cum-live music venue has opened up just underneath The Boardwalk, known as The Point. This venue caters to the 20-something trendy student market, with musical acts and drinks prices pitched accordingly...


Official Website: http://www.theboardwalklive.co.uk