Allister, Blue Meanies, Less Than Jake
Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, IL
April 27, 2000

Yes! Ska! Allister is a local band from NIU that seems to be kicking some ass. Check them out. They are real showmen, and an excellent band as well. They encouraged audience participation in their show. For example, when the sound guy had the vocal mixed all wrong, they asked the audience if it sounded fucked up, and had it fixed. The Blue Meanies looked like the Rolling Stones. No reason to really; they just did. They played their unique brand of ska and the crowd liked it just as much as any. The auditorium where this show took place (basketball court) didn't exactly hold the sound they put out as well as anywhere else would, but they still made a lot of noise. Less Than Jake are the big winners for the night. These guys have so many loyal fans (and excellent songs) that they could've played for 3 days non-stop and not lose momentum. They definitely got the most they could out of the crowd; at one point there was a huge bunch of people running around in a monstrous circle for one song...at the request of the band. These guys really blew me away, as I expected. Their music is so good in the first place, I wouldn't have expected less. Highlights of the show were the crazy dancing clown in a suit on stage, the dialog of the band, and "Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts," which I believe got the absolute most intense response from the crowd. This is definitely a band to check out if you ever have the chance.

More Concert Reviews