Another such DVD Review.

Actually, the transfer used for the Goldfinger Special Edition DVD was the same one used for the THX certified MGM laserdisc a few years ago. Otherwise, things are pretty accurate, with dual mono sound encoded in the Dolby Digital format.

Anyway, my own opinions follow.

A delightful throwback to why Sean Connery was the best Bond of them all. Director Guy Hamilton imbued this chapter of the franchise with a wonderfully sophisticated sense of humour. It effortlessly sets up the elements of a classic Bond movie which has been replicated in every single decent Bond film since.. The ultimately crazy, maniacal baddie, the grand plan, the ingenuity of the gadgets (the Aston Martin ejector seat is a gas!), the gorgeous sidekick, the evil henchmen with a spin (bowler-hat decapitation).. Sheer cinematic joy, propelled using nothing but Connery's on-screen charisma.

The film does look its age, particularly in the opening sequences, plenty of nicks and scratches on the source, especially on the first reel. It could have done with a digital cleanup. It's an anamorphic transfer, and does look crisp and detailed.

Dolby Digital Mono.. It does work, and John Barry's fun-filled score fills the room. "Just a Coldfinger!" :)

An nice wodge of extras, two nice commentaries, two "making of" documentaries one offering a retrospective, original television ads, radio interviews and a 200+ photo gallery.. Everything a Goldfinger fan would EVER want.