Healing Time
Tongue, approximately 6-weeks. The jewelry cannot be removed for at least 6 months, a year is better. Even though the piercing may be healed before then, it takes some time for it to "toughen up."

Special note on tongue piercings

Cleaning the inside tissue
At least 4-6 times a day, you will want to rinse with Tech 2000 or a sea salt solution for 30-60 seconds. A sea salt rinse is 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt dissolved in 8 ounces of warm water. Continue the rinses for 6-8 weeks.


The piercing will probably be swollen for the first few days
To minimize the amount of swelling you can use ice. Simply place it in your mouth and let it melt. Crushed ice is better to use - large pieces can increase swelling. Reducing the amount of talking you do will help to reduce the swelling. Cut down on your intake of warm beverages, spicy and acidic foods, tobacco and alcohol for the first week. Eat only soft foods for the first week or as long as your tongue is swollen. Avoid drinking carbonated beverages for 3-4 days. They can break the seal that is forming at the piercing site.


No oral contact of any kind
No oral contact of any kind for the first 6 weeks (including French/wet kissing and oral sex without barriers). You could end up with a severe infection.