Geoffroy's cat (Felis geoffroyi) is another smallish New World spotted cat like the margay and oncilla, this one only found in the middle of South America. It lives in forests and is partly arboreal -- it even defecates in trees, sometimes over water, causing the first biologists to try and study it some confusion at the lack of traces left behind it. It is nocturnal and eats the usual rodents, birds, reptiles and insects, whether caught in trees or on the ground. They live in all temperatures and altitudes, and in captivity a mother has been seen pulling her kittens onto her feet and wrapping her tail around them for warmth in cool weather.

The color of their coats can vary -- all-black ones are more common in the heavier forests -- but they are hunted more as the supply of larger spotted felines becomes smaller. To make a long fur coat takes 3 jaguar skins, 12 ocelot skins, or 20 Geoffroy's cat skins, so hunters can take a heavy toll on small species like this. They are also killed as poultry pests and eaten by humans. Sometimes, though, they are kept as pets and even cross-bred with the domestic cat to make a breed oddly called the "safari cat," which dilutes the gene pool of a rare species.