General secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev accomplished the domestic goal of repairing the damage dealt by Brezhnev to the Soviet economy. He increased technology and productivity and cut down on bureaucracy. Deeper reforms included the policy of glasnot, in which freedoms of expression and information were greatly expanded. The press was granted a much better capacity for accuracy and governmental criticism. Eventually, this freedom led to a criticism of Stalinist totalitarianism and, through the policy of perestroika, the first attempts to make the Soviet Union democratic. Secret ballots and some capitalistic enterprises began to exist in the USSR. He followed policies of détente and agreed with Ronald Reagan to decrease medium range nuclear arsenals.

Gorbachev was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1990 for his tolerance of the manner in which Eastern European states finally ceased to be communist. He allowed Germany to be re-unified and even tolerated its entrance into NATO.

The superb manner in which he handled the dismantling of the Soviet sphere of influence denotes him as a diplomat of the highest esteem. He was the architect for an elegant demise to communism, and was succeeded by Yeltsin, after having depended on him to escape an armed coup that started while has was on vacation.