Washing dishes in a university residence is a difficult task. Firstly, since meals are served from a cafeteria it is not expected that students will produce many dishes. Those of us who subsist largely off of soups and tea have an altogether differing situation, however. The above menu is imposed through the restriction of heating devices in residence at the University of British Columbia to just a kettle. If the sole hot ingredient in a recipe is boiling water and the instructions for making it amount to 'stir and wait' then the food is appropriate for a university life.

The lack of any sort of official food sanctioning or equipment does make it hard, though, to wash dishes. Like washing hands, washing dishes is an essential element to a strategy of avoiding illness. Hence, what one must do is to immediately wash used dishes in the bathroom using hand soap and then proceeding to dry them with toilet paper. This process is extremely ineffective for killing micro-organisms and so the next stage is essential. Boil water in your trusty kettle and immerse the contaminated dishes in boiling water for a period not under eight minutes. Since puny prokaryotes cannot survive (generally) such rough treatment you ought to remain typhoid free, at least for the present moment.