The nickname given to a presumably British man who was discovered near a beach in Minster, England on April 7, 2005. Found dressed in a suit and tie, the Piano Man is unwilling or unable to speak, which has further confounded attempts to identify him. His one distinctive feature is his desire (and ability) to play the piano. This fact was discovered after he drew a detailed picture of a piano and hospital staff led him to one. These artistic efforts have apparently been Piano Man’s only attempts to communicate since he was found.

This otherwise unremarkable missing-persons story has achieved international press coverage, however, as it bears a passing resemblance to the story of David Helfgott, the pianist whose mental breakdown and recovery was made famous by the 1996 movie Shine. Of course, the allusions made to this similarity reference the movie, and not the real-life events the movie is about, adding another layer of surrealism to an already unreal news event.

The story of Piano Man is therefore a perfect example of the state of journalism, particularly in America. His story has a perfect narrative arc built in. A mysterious derelict is found, but something about him makes it appear than he is more than a simple pauper. He cannot communicate verbally, the fashion of choice for the vast majority of the Earth’s people, but can communicate via a musical instrument, which is something a majority of people cannot do. Who is this tragic virtuoso? Eventually, someone who recognized him from the news reports will identify him, and the Piano Man’s name and history will be revealed in a thrilling denouement. This is fodder for several news cycles (if editors and producers are lucky), and it sure beats having to watch people blow up all day. If they are really lucky, Piano Man will regain his power of speech just in time for the exclusive Barbara Walters interview.

This ongoing pseudo-event makes Piano Man the perfect celebrity in the Boorstinian sense of the word. He is famous for being famous, even though no one knows who he is.

UPDATE: A report appearing in the May 18, 2005 Scotsman claims that a Polish mime living in Italy has identified the man as Steven Villa Masson, a street musician he had worked with in Nice. This information is as-of-yet uncorroborated. The Polish mime says he recognized Piano Man's picture in the news reports about the mystery.

(HOPEFULLY FINAL) UPDATE:After a series of false leads (including the above), Piano Man was released from the hospital he was being treated at, and returned to his home in Germany. He broke his silence to declare his nationality, and was later identified by his parents. His true name has not been released due to patient confidentiality reasons.

Debate continues as to whether he was an excellent or terrible piano player.

Purdy, Alison and Anna Farley, "Piano Man 'Is French Street Musician',"Latest News, Scotsman.com, May 18, 2005, http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=%204569592

"'Piano Man' flies back to Germany," BBCNews UK Edition, August 22, 2005, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4172662.stm