This sequel to Sega's Sonic Chaos was released for Game Gear in 1994. In Triple Trouble (known as Sonic and Tails 2 in Japan) Knuckles the Echidna (making his first Game Gear appearance) has stolen the Chaos Emeralds and plans to give them to Dr. Julian Ivo Robotnik, the villain whom he believes is the good guy. Sonic and Tails have to recover the emeralds and stop Knuckles and Dr. Robotnik. In addition, a clumsy treasure hunter by the name of Nack the Weasal is after the emeralds too, and he'll stop at nothing to get them back!

The game plays like a classic Sonic the Hedgehog game. Players can choose to play as either Sonic or Tails and use each one's unique movies. Sonic has his classic spin dash, spin jump, and peel out; Tails can fly and swim short distances as well as spin dash and spin jump. The game follows a traditional three acts per zone structure with the third act of a zone being a boss level. There are also two new types of levels: a snowboard level and a submarine shooter level.

Collect 100 rings to enter the bonus round where you'll meet a new character, Nack the Weasel (aka Fang the Sniper in Japan). You have to manuever around a large room full of springboards to find him, however, and you have to do it before time runs out! Other times you'll fly a bi-plane around collecting rings and chasing down Nack in his own flying machine. Unlike in Sonic Chaos, this time Tails can go after the Chaos Emeralds too.

This was the final traditional Sonic the Hedgehog game for the Game Gear. Your best bet to find it is at used game shops and online auctions. The easiest way to play the game is to get ahold of Sonic Adventure DX for the Nintendo GameCube which includes this game as a bonus. The games that would follow would feature Tails in the starring role, and one would even use rendered graphics.