The most common way to train dogs is to make it a game.

The dog is given a toy. Some little thing that will amuse the dog for the rest of its life if the dog doesn't swallow it. Then the toy is taken away, and painted with the scent of one of the dog's responsibilities, such as a certain drug or explosive. Then the toy is hidden in a mock environment and it learns to seek out the scent of this drug or explosive. After a little bit of this, real drugs or explosives are hidden instead of the toy. The dog may be surprised to find this, but then is reassured of its success when it is given the toy after finding the real thing.

Much time is needed to train the dogs to be suspicious, and go after possibly masked scents, such as drugs packed in coffee. This is done by leading the dog to the area of a masked scent and guiding them to it; then redoing the exercise without giving the dog any guidance. The dog must also learn only to search on cue, since the dog needs to remain calm around the Police Evidence Room or the Crime Scene Investigator's truck.

Dogs must also eventually be taught not to pick up or touch the target, as in the case of a bomb this could be dangerous and in other cases it wouldn't be proper for a police dog to accidentally indulge in some of nature's finest.


This node rewritten once twice and edited once to comply with mysterious, masterful decrees handed down from above.