Many people were there during Chernobyl.As you all know by now, radiation can mutate things and cause cancer. Many babies were born with horrible deformities. I was one of the lucky ones. I came out normal, I think. Chernobyl happened about 2 months before I was born. The doctors thought I was going to be deformed and so did everyone else, but fortunately I'm pretty normal. Me and my mother were dosed with extremely high levels of radiation and we had to go to this center when I was four. I don't remember mucha bout it except they put us through different treatmeants including stuff with water, in St. Petersburg. I have only the faintest memories of that place. I remember it was huge and wooden and it smelled strangely.

My mother and I still have monthly checkups at the doctors to check for cancer and other things because we were dosed with such a large amount of radiation. We did not leave Kiev after Chernobyl and niether did anyone else around us. Where would we go? Our lives were here in the Ukraine. Some of us, including my family, managed to go to America 6 years later. I am 14 now and I still hear my mother talking about that frightful day and that horrible year of Chernobyl. It was an unforgettable experience for all who lived through it.