Felt is a late 70's, late 80's pop band who is coming into some prominence because of Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian's references to him, and his claim that they were a big influence on him. The band is the project of eccentric Lawrence Hayward. His debut single, "Index" got the attention of Cherry Red Records, and he released a few EPs, and Felt's masterwork, Forever Breathes the Lonely Word. After that, they moved to Creation (home of My Bloody Valentine, Oasis and others) and released another slew of EPs, and two very different, but very good records, Poem of the River and Pictorial Jackson Review. Due to Cherry Red's laziness and Creation's bankruptcy, their records are VERY hard to find. Your best bet is to look into "Absolute Classic Masterpieces," a greatest hits collection, which contains the single Primitive Painters, where Hayward duets with Elizabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins. It was released on Futurist Records.

Editor's note (late 2017): Felt's bassist, Phil King, would go on to join Lush, in 1991, staying until their break-up in 1996 and returning for their reunion tour in 2016. In the interim, he played bass for The Jesus and Mary Chain for many years. Also, Felt's releases are all readily available again, having been reissued on all relevant formats by Captured Tracks, though the original pressings are still highly sought-after.