Can be used synonymously with “Fag Hag.” It’s an expression used to describe a girl who has many gay friends. It could be used to describe a gal with just one gay friend but he would have to be her best friend and spend nights in her bed in plutonic spooning. I’m sorry, I don’t make the rules, that’s just how it has to be.

A true Fruit Fly has trouble finding straight men because most of the men she hangs out with are dating each other (or used to). Think of Grace from TV’s Will & Grace for the perfect example.

The term is not to be used as a slam on anyone but merely a word to describe a normally wordy phenomenon. If you’re a straight guy, you might find it difficult to date a Fruit Fly because she really doesn’t have much use for you. Anything you can do (well almost anything) her gay friends can do better and they won’t make her cry. She has someone to shop with, talk to, watch movies with and he might even give her a pedicure which you probably don’t even know how to start.

But they do get incredible insight on the mind of the male and from a source that’s not trying to sleep with her. This gives her understanding for when we actually answer the question, “What are you thinking about?” and we answer incorrectly.

Margaret Cho is the quintessential Fruit Fly.