I once caught a glimpse of my current condition cast by the mirror of a McDonald's restroom, I sneaked in during a torrential downpour to shoot up the horse I just bought. It took me two days of constant spanging to have enough to buy even the smallest amount. I tell you this because these are some of the things us homeless people have thought of to feed our addiction.

I stalled when I made eye contact with the stranger in the reflection. With cool water I washed away the small jagged salt crystals and dirt that had streaked down around my neck during my short journey to this particular fast food establishment.

I was about to leave with the dope still hidden in my pocket, when out of the corner of my eye I saw an employee sent to check on me slowly retreating from a crack in the door.

I felt like pushing the whole thing and dying right there on the floor in the unkempt restroom. They have no right to judge me and assume my business.

I emereged from the stall rolling down the blood tinged sleeve, and left as quickly as possible in an attempt to not be seen leaving. Before I left I heard one of the girls working at the fry station say, "I don't see why dat junkie gotsta use our bathroom to clean up when the hobo shower outside is working perfect today."

I have ran into a few strangers from my past, and now that I'm older I think; oh god, how the time has gone by, and with a flash the past is brought back. This is a short-lived memory because a sick feeling comes over me when I realize nothing has changed except maybe our age and the tired look behind my eyes.

I could place her face but I couldn't remember her name, it just wasn't coming to me. We had grew up together, me and the girl. We're the same age, but somehow she managed to hold on to her youth. It was the younger sister of a guy I once was friends with in high school, but because I was high as a kite at this moment, any pain I might have felt from that comment quickly dissipated as it rolled like water off a duck's back. There was something that I did realize that day, though, our youth is only hidden underneath a layer of grime we let build up over time.