The US Military has recently announced a shift in Embassy Protection. Until now US Embassies in violence-prone countries have been equipped with one or two armored vehicles, usually based off the Chevrolet Suburban platform. The problem is that, although these vehicles could take a hit, they had no weaponry of their own. They have been used in the past by Marines who shoot out the windows. The problem with this is that it exposes the ocupants to enemy fire or gas and is pretty ineffective.

Recent attacks on US personnel, citizens and territory have prompted the need for a vehicle with the ability to hit back. Issuing each building it's own M1-A1 Abrams main battle tank would not only be impractical, but would also make the neighbors a bit nervous. (On the up side, you could hold loud parties all the time, who's gonna stop you? but that's for another node).

The solution was hardened vehicle with defensive fire power that does not have the psychological impact of a military armored vehicle (such as a tank or an IFV).

Enter the newest addition to military arsenal. This vehicle is built off the Chevy Suburban platform. But this SUV isn't for the soccer mom. This vehicle is equipped with Kevlar armor in the doors, roof, fenders & hood (to protect the engine), and a double-thick layer in the floor to protect passengers against anti-personnel land mines. (There is no way that such a light vehicle could withstand an anti-tank mine.) The windows are tinted and bullet/hand grenade proof. The bumpers are reinforced and the frame is beefed up to withstand ramming a road block.

Now for the 007 Q Division toys:
The front radiator cover is not just decoration, it's two layers of hardened steel slats that overlap, making almost impossible to shoot out the radiator. On the roof is a FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-Red) camera turret, which will be needed to see where you are going when you start popping off the smoke grenades from the roof-mounted launchers. You can use plain smoke to cover your movements, or if the party is getting a little rowdy use the tear gas as a polite way of saying "Go home."
Under the rear bumper are a series of spray nozzles which can dispense a slick of a specially formulated compound specifically designed to disrupt the traction of rubber on a road. Hope that your pursuers have airbags, because traction control won't help. However, If they are the persistent type, see how well they drive on four flat tires. Hit the switch on the dash that drops thousands of tire-shredding jacks on the road behind you (just like in Tomorrow Never Dies).
And since you can't outrun a Motorola, you might find yourself up against a road block, no worries, just turn on that extra set of head lamps mounted in the front grill. They are super-bright and angled to blind anyone in front of your vehicle. Then just make use of that reinforced front bumper and smash your way through.

All this is in addition to all the normal toys of a hardened vehicle: larger turbo-charged engine, run-flat self sealing tires, self sealing fuel tank, beefed up suspension and a big-time intimidation factor.

There has been some talk to fitting an M-60 light machine gun to the FLIR turret to supplement the non-lethal weaponry with something a little more serious.


Source: I am remembering this from an aritcle I read in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics some months ago.