Paintballing is a sport in which a bunch of crazies get dressed up in Army surplus cammo gear and proceed to blow the shit out of each other. The paintgun is an odd looking weapon, this is because it isn't one (unless loaded with marbles or possibly Nerf darts). The paintguns range in price from $65 for a PGP to your first born child for a tripped out Angel or an Auto-cocker. The ammunition is .68 cal gelatin balls filled with water-soluable paint. There are also Paint Grenades and other cool toys. Tippman has recently developed landmines, mortars and gun-mounted grenade launchers. This is a serious sport and often very expensive.

The most popular games are capture the flag and speedball and total elimination, but there are others.

This is not a sport to play with a Marine and here is why: a TA I had was a part-time paintballer. He and his buddies decided to go play a few rounds, so this TA thought it would be a good idea to ask a Marine ROTC Sgt. to come play. This Sgt. had never even heard of the sport before so the TA explained it to him, describing it like a battle. The TA even drew the Sgt. a picture of the gun. The Marine looked at the crude drawing and then asked, "Where do you put the bayonet?" Needless to say the TA extracted himself from the conversation with a "perhaps next time" and walked away visibly shaken.

Moral of the story: Don't play paintball with Marine Combat Veterans.