The rose is the flower of Venus (Aphrodite): in mythology it was believed that the flower first bloomed when Venus was born from the sea. The flower also heralds spring. In chivalrous imagery, rose gardens may surround a maiden, its thorns protecting her chastity. Numerous portraits of women include roses to enhance their beauty, and in Dutch still lifes, or vanitas paintings, roses may indicate that beauty and life are both ephemeral.

In medieval Christianity the petals of the flower were taken to represent the five wounds of Christ; a red rose growing among thorns signified the early martyrs and their persecutors; and a white rose reflected the spotless purity of the Virgin. In the Garden of Eden the rose grew without thorns, and its fragrance and beauty were a reminder of the glory of Paradise. Saints and angels often hold roses as an indication of the heavenly bliss they have entered.

A golden rose was sent by the Pope to sovereigns whom the Church esteemed, and since the Middle Ages roses have played an important part in heraldry. The wars which racked England during the 14th century gained the name the Wars of the Roses from the white rose of the House of York and the red rose of the House of Lancaster. With peace restored, the flower was adopted by the Tudor dynasty and became a royal device.