In mythology the Muses presided over and inspired music, poetry, dancing and the Liberal Arts. They were protected by Apollo, with whom they were often seen on high Mount Parnassus as young and beautiful virgins. They were the children of Jupiter (in Greek myth, Zeus) and Mnemosyne (Memory). The home of the Muses was the wooded Mount Helicon where they were visited by Minerva (in Greek myth, Athene), who wished to see the miraculous Hippocrene, a fountain which a blow from the winged horse Pegasus' hoof had caused to flow from the earth. The Muses were also said to have guarded the springs of lofty Mount Parnassus, on which the Castalian spring was thought to be the source of poetic inspiration. A museum (literally, a home of seat of the Muses) was originally the term applied to an institution dedicated to learning, literature and the arts; an example was the Academy at Alexandria in the 3rd century BC. A museum still suggests a place where antiquities are housed, as distinct from a gallery, also of ancient origin, where colonnades were used for the display of poetry.

Name:        Meaning:            Branch of Arts:
Calliope     Beautiful voice     Epic poetry
Clio         Fame                History
Erato        Lovely              Lyric poetry
Euterpe      Joy                 Music
Melpomene    Singing             Tragic drama
Polyhymnia   Many songs          Mime and sacred lyrics
Terpsichore  Joyful dance        Dance
Thalia       Good cheer/Plenty   Comic drama
Urania       Celestial           Astronomy