The other problem with the current debate over faith based organizations receiving funds from the federal government is that it is unclear just how these faith based programs are going to help. The problem is not so much that their aren’t programs trying to provide drug counseling, literacy programs, or any number of other social services already, as that these programs do not have enough money in the first place. Increasing the number of programs eligible to receive funding is not going to help unless they also increase the total amount of money that is going to these programs.

Last summer I spent most of time processing paperwork and creating a database to help the people in the social services department of the law firm I was working for deal with the huge back load of prisoners unable to be released from prison because the state legislator had cut back funding for drug rehab now that it was no longer useful as a campaign issue. The problem was not that the city lacked functioning drug rehab programs, and therefore needed the religious community to step in and fill the vacuum. The problem is that funding all these social service programs is unpopular. Since Bush and company don’t seem interested in increasing the problem, or really making dramatic changes in the over all system that creates social problems, (the war on drugs itself, poverty, failing education etc. etc. ) it seems strongly unlikely that some church affiliated programs are going to magically save the day. Especially considering that as mblase pointed out in order to get the funding they have to give up any strong religious message and so lose any theoretical benefit that might come from being connected to a religious message if such a benefit exists.