Fun on a per-contract basis, Blasted Tool, and Multiprocessor Woes

Well, apart from DD350s, DD1057s, ACSA Reports, and other fun Contracting-related business, I've succeeded in doing virtually nothing with my time at work. This, of course, is a difficult-to-master form of art. To achieve satisfaction with the boss while remaining completely "phased-out" is a skill which has taken me years to acquire. Over the few weeks I've been working summer hire at the contracting division, I've learned a few items that can specifically help the lazy employee act out on his instincts.

  • Alt+Tab alot. That keystroke is your friend. Also helps when you have auto-hide activated for your task-bar.
  • Keep a folder sitting on your lap most of the time. It also helps to keep your finger pointed on a block of numbers whilst intensely concentrating on the screen. Also, be sure to note that this folder should be exchanged a few times during the day in case anyone is actually paying attention.
  • Make up work-related questions every now and then and go ask your boss. He/she will think that you're motivated and inquisitive, instead of doubting your potential as even a future organ donor.
  • Pace yourself. If you do too much work at once, your boss will know what you are actually capable of and will try to enforce that higher standard upon you in the future. If you go at a nice, relaxed pace then you will have more time to do nothing.

    In other news, whilst writing my newest song ("the beauty of imperfection"), I've noticed that, ever since I began listening to Tool, I have been unable to write a song in a normal time signature or in a normal format. Whatever happened to Mr 4/4 and the Verse/Chorus/Verse/Bridge/Chorus Family? Oui.

    My dual P-IIIs haven't been much of a tool lately at all. One of them just refuses to let the operating system recognise it's existence at all. After long periods of usage, it won't even show up in the BIOS messages on reboot. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I don't have a fan designed for the P-3 installed on one of them. Oh well, only time (and a lot of money) will tell.