One advantage of digital is that you learn more quickly.

The key to learning anything is feedback. Film is bad in this respect. You take the photo, and you only get to see the results when you develop them. Which could be anywhere from an hour to a week afterwards. And unless you write down the camera settings for each shot (which can really take the joy out of photography), you will probably forget what settings you had used.

With digital cameras, feedback is instant. You can see if you have made mistake in composition, lighting, or with camera settings. And you can correct it straight away.

And as Mordax said. Control is another big advantage. Unless you have your own darkroom setup--which can be very expensive and time consuming--you don't have full control of the process.
This may not be a biggy for people who want to get their holiday snaps printed. But when you need to get the images on to a computer, digital is much easier, cheaper, faster, and reliable. And you stay in control throughout the whole process.

I think that digital will overtake film very soon in most of the 35mm SLR areas. But film will still be around for along time because it's cheap and flexible. A good example is pinhole photography, where a lot of people create their own cameras, and use a wide variety of film formats (including home made). To make you own digital camera and CCD, would be incredibly expensive and hard to do.