compiled overview of the 25ton Dart 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



After the Commando and the Valkyrie were designated as the standard light BattleMechs for the Federated Commonwealth, several battle reports have suggested that the high amounts of ammunition aboard these 'Mechs limits their effectiveness in tight combat situations.

Coventry Metal Works, in an obvious PR move, suggested a new design to the Federated Commonwealth military for their consideration. Much to Coventry's suprise, the Office of Procurement accepted the design and ordered immediate construction.

The Dart is a fast 'Mech equipped with three Magna 200P Small Pulse Lasers as its weaponry. In the fast-strike mentality that pervades the upper echelon of the Federated Commonwealth military, this design will be used primarily in raids on Clan supply depots and in actions to cut off frontline Clan 'Mechs from their supply lines. When more of the Dart 'Mechs become available, they will also serve in scouting missions.

The three pulse lasers were chosen because of their accuracy in short-range situations. The Dart's 3.5 tons of armor provides ample protection from small Clan 'Mechs and Elementals. The 'Mech also has a remarkable speed of 151 kph, making it faster than any known Commando variant in existence.

Before the Clan invasion, standard practice for field-testing was to assign new designs to units garrisoned along the periphery to guard against pirate attacks. Since the tentative peace won on Tukayyid, most new 'Mechs are now being tested on border worlds against the enemy for which they are intended.

Breaking with this new policy, the Federated Commonwealth has decided to test some of their newer designs in what remains of the periphery to maintain secrecy until their designs are perfected. The Dart has been assigned to several light and medium Federated Commonwealth 'Mech units, with encouraging results reported.



Note: Information used here was released into the public domain shortly before the transfer of FASA's holdings to Wizkids LLC. Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.