compiled overview of the 20 ton Locust 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The Locust was one of the most produced and common BattleMechs of the fallen Star League. Bergan Industries began production of the 'Mech at eight of their facilities in 2499, and was still in peak production when the Star League fell several years later. The Locust was originally designed as a light and fast recon vehicle, a role it has fulfilled well for both the old Star League and the later Successor States for over 560 years.

Nine official variants of the 'Mech have been produced over the years along with countless custom refits. All modifications involve changes to the Locust's weapon load. Though most every Locust variant packs a great deal of firepower, many Locusts do not have enough heat sinks to be able to use all their weapons effectively.

It is the rare MechWarrior who enjoys piloting a Locust for any length of time. It is currently the smallest of all 'Mechs used and thus is outclassed by just about every other 'Mech on the field. Lacking the jump jets and manipulative arms of other 'Mechs, the Locust is limited in close-quarter firefights and in hand-to-hand combat.

As speed is one of its major assets, the Locust is often placed where the front is fluid, as it is quick enough to respond to a possible enemy breakthrough. A direct hit by almost any weapon on the battlefield can destroy or quickly cripple a Locust so they are usually deployed in groups of three or more. Used this way, they have the ability to encircle opposing slower 'Mechs. Many large 'Mechs that wander off in battle have fallen to such an attack, but more often, the Locust must fight a holding action until larger, better armored 'Mechs can arrive.

A notable engagement involving Locusts was an attack by Helmar Valasek against a small Kurita garrison on Porthos in 3024. In that engagement, a bandit Union Class DropShip slid past the fighter cover and disembarked several fast combat lances consisting of Locusts, Wasps, and Stingers. In a lightning attack on an arsenal, the bandits seized the supplies they had come for and escaped off-world. Though the Kurita garrison was well-defended, its 'Mechs were too slow to pursue the attacking Locusts.

In 3020, House Steiner engaged House Marik on the world Callison. Elements of Marik Militia's 10th Regiment were supporting several recon lances composed of Locusts and their variants. In the city-fighting at Rolso on Callison, these units more than proved their worth by their ability to navigate narrow streets and play havoc with the infantry in the nearby buildings.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.