Compiled overview of the 95 ton Nightstar 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The SLDF High Command commissioned GM BattleMechs and Norse-Storm to design a heavy support 'Mech. After eight months of intense work the companies put into production the last of the Marauder series of BattleMechs, the Nightstar. The 'Mech design then quickly became a casualty of the constant combat of the Succession Wars.

Three months after the First Succession War began, Norse-Storm's primary production facility for the Nightstar was destroyed by House Marik troops. At the same time, several members of the GM BattleMechs design team died in a freak accident at GM's plant on Kathil. Two hundred and fifty years would pass before GM and Norse-Storm recovered enough technological expertise to put the Nightstar back into production.

The Nightstar shares many of the Marauder's design features, such as its flexible ball-and-socket joints. The Nightstar's reinforced Norse-GM Heavy TRQ Marauder chassis enables it to carry twenty more tons, giving it heavier weapons and stronger armor protection. The 285 XL fusion engine makes the Nightstar almost as fast as the Marauder, and certainly as fast as most assault 'Mechs. Fourteen double heat sinks keep the Nightstar running cool on the battlefield.

The Nightstar's weapons include a Norse-Storm Model 7D Gauss Rifle and a Defiance P5M Medium Pulse Laser in each arm. A Defiance 1001 ER PPC is mounted atop the right side of the hunched torso. An Exostar small laser rounds out the arsenal.

The Nightstar's impressive electronics package includes the Tek Battlecomm communications system, in production since the decoding of the Gray Death memory core, and the DLK Type Phased Array Sensor System. The best 'Mech targeting and tracking system in the Inner Sphere.

The Nightstar has seen limited combat with the mercenary units Storm's Metal Thunder and the Blackstone Highlanders, who have raided several Clan-held worlds in the Jade Falcon occupation zone. Various units in the Lyran Alliance military are reported to deploy Nightstars, including the First Lyran Guards. The Federated Commonwealth has stationed several Nightstars with units along the Periphery border.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.