compiled overview of the 35 ton Raven 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



Two decades ago, the Raven was House Liao's experimental attempt to produce a 'Mech that could provide a battalion or regiment with sophisticated electronic-warfare capabilities. The equipment was not a complete success, being too heavy and insufficiently sophisticated to turn the tide of battle. Recovered Star League technology, however, has made the Raven a viable BattleMech. Produced exclusively by Hellespont Industries on Sian, the RVN-3L Raven is striding off the assembly line bristling with the most advanced electronics ever seen in the Inner Sphere.

The key to the 'Mech's success are the lighter materials and equipment now available. The Hermes 210 XL engine saved enough mass to equip the Raven with even more electronic gear than its original designers planned in 3025. The Guardian ECM suite helps shield the Raven and the rest of its accompanying unit from enemy sensors. The Beagle active probe, which meshes especially well with the Apple Churchill 2000 targeting system, locates even hidden enemy units. Once it locates the enemy, the Raven can bombard him to rubble. The target acquisition gear, hooked directly to the Beagle active probe, spots the enemy accurately for friendly fire from the Arrow IV artillery system. The Churchill Narc Beacon also provides a magnet for direct-fire missiles from the Raven and the rest of the 'Mechs in its unit.

The economy of weight allows Hellespont Industries to give the Raven better armor protection as well. An additional half-ton of armor protects the front torso and arms, and Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment shields the missile reloads against an internal explosion.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.