martyred c.251 under Decius.

Also known as Kitts, but mainly Offero.

Offero was a powerfully built Canaanite who wandered the world in search of novelty and adventure. He came upon a hermit who lived beside a dangerous stream and served others by guiding them to safe places to cross. He gave Offero instruction in the truth of God. He took the hermit's place, but instead of guiding travellers, he carried them safely across the stream.

One day he carried a small child across the stream. The child's weight nearly crushed him. When they arrived on the other side, the child revealed himself as Christ, and he was so heavy because he bore the weight of the world on himself. Christ then baptised Offero with water from the stream. Offero's service at the stream led to his patronage of things related to travel and travellers, people who carry things, etc...

Saint Christopher was removed from the Roman calendar as there is no proof of his existence. His former holy day is July 25.

Sometimes represented as a torrent or also a giant.
Patron saint of : archers, automobile drivers, automobilists, bechelors, boatmen, bus drivers, cab drivers, floods, fruit dealers, fullers, hailstorms, holy death, lorry drivers, mariners, market carriers, motorist, porters, Rab Croatia, sailors, storms, sudden death, taxi drivers, toothache, transportation, transportation workers, travellers, truck drivers, truckers, and watermen.