compiled overview of the 35ton Venom 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



During the Clan invasion of Draconis Combine space, large numbers of Combine 'Mechs were destroyed in the fighting, with no chance of any salvage to support reconstruction. As a result Coordinator Takashi Kurita orderd a massive production effort to replace fallen units.

Nimakachi Fusion Products Ltd., a small manufacturer which had only produced Spiders, was eager to profit from the circumstances. The firm's owners decided that simple expansion of the Spider production lines would not guarantee future orders when the fighting slowed down. With an eye to future expansion, Nimakachi was eager to incorporate as much new and recovered technology as was available. The Venom was born. The Combine military was so pleased with this design that it immediately placed an order for production of the Venom in large numbers.

The Venom is a heavier version of the old Spider produced on Tematagi. It is 35 tons and uses Kallon FWL special ferro-fibrous armor. The new design also has an extralight engine in order to keep the space available for increased firepower. The weapons featured by the design are four of the new Tronel XII medium pulse lasers.

Like its predecessor, the Venom is successful because of its maneuverability. The movement capabilities of the Venom are identical to those of the original Spider. Since the phenomenal distances covered and the amount of control a pilot has during a jump were paramount in the original design, changes would have been counterproductive.

There are two drawbacks that could not be corrected. First, the 'Mechs armor is light. The engineers are hoping that the maneuverability of this design is sufficient compensation. The Second problem, which is compounded by the first, is the extra-light design of the fusion engine. Any reasonable penetration into the left or right torso would more than likely penetrate the engine's shielding

The first Venom came off the production line in January 3050, and has seen limited field testing so far. Theodore Kurita has seen fit to have all new designs sent to areas near the Periphery to protect against bandits and for potential punitive strikes. Several of the new 'Mech designs have also been spotted patrolling worlds in Dieron, near the Terran frontier.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.