An incredible film showing the clash of art and politics in 1930's United States. Written and directed by Tim Robbins, The Cradle Will Rock displays the political brilliance Robbins showed in his other gems: Dead Man Walking and Bob Roberts. This movie smoothly weaves stories of unions, the red scare, unemployment, the insanity of art, and even Mussolini influences in America.

But what makes the movie great, is the fact it is based on truth. The movie's main theatrical production is being directed and produced by Orson Welles and John Houseman. Nelson Rockefeller butts heads with a controversial Diego Rivera about a mural painted in the Rockefeller building. An aspiring actor dealing with union pressures while trying to raise a family during The Great Depression. Hallie Flanagan defends the Federal Theater from the barrage of Communist claims made towards it. All this while an aspiring writer creates a masterpiece perfectly attacking our country's society. The end of the movie will have you giddy like a child on their birthday.

Along with a great story, Robbins also captures our country at that time. The costumes, social discomforts, and sets come together in a beautiful fashion. To understand how good this movie is, one must look at the list of players that act the roles. Cherry Jones, John Tuturro, and Angus MacFayden give brilliant performances:


Written and Directed by Tim Robbins
Rated: R
Runtime: 132 minutes
1999