A popular traditional Scottish band that's been alive and kicking since 1976 (at least), drawing from Highland and Lowland influences to create music that drives like a pounding surf or calls up images of ethereal, fog-shrouded moors.

Named after a contemporary of Robert Burns, Robert Tannahill, the "Tannies"' lineup has constantly changed over the years, with the constants being vocalist and guitarist Roy Gullane and flautist Phil Smillie. The current lineup (which has held together for the last three albums -- a record!) includes fiddler John Martin, bagpiper Duncan J. Nicholson (at 23, the Tannahill Weavers are older than he is!), and vocalist/bouzouki player Les Wilson.

Their breakthrough 1994 album Capernaum won the National Association of Independent Record Distributors and Manufacturers 1994 Indie Award for Celtic Album of the Year. The Tannahill Weavers tour constantly; I have seen them three times at one of their anchor stops, the ArtsCenter of Carrboro, NC, and have come away from each of them having shouted, clapped and stomped myself into exhaustion. Best aerobic workout around.

The Tannahill Weavers are on the Green Linnet label (http://www.greenlinnet.com).

Discography:

  • Are Ye Sleeping Maggie (1976)
  • The Old Woman's Dance (1978)
  • The Tannahill Weavers (1979)
  • Tannahills IV (1981)
  • Passage (1984)
  • Land of Light (1986)
  • Dancing Feet (1987)
  • Best of... (1979-1989)
  • Cullen Bay (1990)
  • The Mermaid's Song (1992)
  • Capernaum (1994) (Indie Award winner)
  • Leaving St. Kilda (1996)
  • Choice Cuts (1987-1996) (Second collection -- a great starting place for newcomers)
  • Epona (1998)
  • Alchemy (2000) (*)

(*) From the liner notes: We recorded this album on the banks of the "Silvery Tay" in Scotland, and we would like to thank mine hosts, Dave and Ann, from the local hostale… hostelar… historal… hatstyle… hotstew…… pub for the conviviality. As luck would have it this establishment was celebrating its 100th birthday while we were recording, and to celebrate this they had decided to charge the same price for beers, ales, and excisable liquors as had been charged on the opening day 100 years previously. You can well imagine our joy. However, as we sat there sipping our "cold ones" we could not help but notice a dozen or so men standing silently behind us staring avariciously at our foaming libations. It was almost sinister. The barman, sensing our disquiet, said "Don’t worry, lads, its only the locals. They’ll be waiting for happy hour."