The publisher helpfully provides a reading guide for book clubs whose leaders wish to inflict such dreadful reading material upon their hapless readers:

  1. In The Bad Beginning, Mr. Snicket warns his readers, "If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book." Yet many people have insisted on continuing to read this book anyway. What is wrong with such people?
     
  2. The theme of The Reptile Room might be best stated, "Look out for Count Olaf -- he will try to murder you!" Why do you think there are so few books that deal with this theme?
     
  3. In The Wide Window, the character of Aunt Josephine is frightened of many things, and then a very frightening thing happens to her. Is it useful to feel fear, because it prepares you for nasty events, or is it useless, because nasty events will occur whether you are frightened or not?
     
  4. The Miserable Mill brings up many important issues of the day, including child labor in the lumber industry, hypnotism within the medical profession, gum-chewing, cigar-smoking, cross-dressing, and the futility of coupons, bankers and optimism. How does the treatment of these issues in Snicket's work differ from their treatment in the newspaper, on television and in musical theater?
     
  5. Does anything in your life compare with the anguish the Baudelaire children encounter in The Austere Academy? If so, how terrible for you. If not, how nice. Discuss.
     
  6. In The Ersatz Elevator, Violet, Klaus and Sunny encounter many things which are not what they seem. Yet The Ersatz Elevator is what it seems -- a book containing nothing but despair, discomfort and woe. Discuss.
     
  7. Violet, the eldest Baudelaire child, often risks her life when using one of her inventions in a desperate attempt to escape Count Olaf's treachery. Is this a proper role model for young women?
     
  8. Klaus, the middle Baudelaire child, often finds out disturbing information when researching Count Olaf's evil ways. Is this a proper role model for young men?
     
  9. Sunny, the youngest Baudelaire child, occasionally uses her four sharp teeth in an aggressive manner, in order to defeat Count Olaf's dreadful behavior. Is this a proper role model for young babies?
     
  10. Each of the books in A Series of Unfortunate Events is dedicated to Beatrice. When HarperCollins asked Mr. Snicket about this mysterious woman, he burst into tears and was unable to answer. Is this an appropriate author for young readers?
     
  11. In each of Mr. Snicket's books, there is no evidence that Count Olaf has ever been captured by the appropriate authorities. Is this more terrifying than horrifying, or more horrifying than terrifying? Discuss.
     
  12. If Count Olaf is still at large, isn't it risky to attract his attention by purchasing and reading any of Mr. Snicket's books? Discuss.
     
  13. Who is standing behind you right now? Discuss.