This version of the danish dessert uses strawberries and raspberries, but any combination of red berries, or even just a single kind of berry would be perfect for this recipe. Experiment to see what you like best!

Rødgrød Med Fløde


Ingredients


Put the berries in a fine mesh strainer (such as a chinois), then set the strainer over a stainless steel saucepan. Press the berries through the sieve, throwing away whatever cannot pass through. Stir the lemon juice into the purée. Feel free to scale back the amount of lemon juice to just one tsp. if the berries you are using are especially tart. Stir in the sugar as well.

Place the saucepan over a medium-high heat and let it come to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Let it boil for a minute or two, then remove the pan from the heat.

Combine the arrowroot and water, stirring it until it makes a smooth mixture. Stir the arrowroot into the hot purée. Lower the stove top heat to about medium, medium-low, and simmer the mixture while stirring it constantly for another two or three minutes. The pudding should thicken slightly and become a bit clearer. Do not allow it to come to an actual boil.

Take it off the heat and let it cool slightly before moving it to either individual dishes or a small crystal bowl. Chill well, and then serve it with a garnish of almonds, and cream on the side.