Today's news from around the world...

International Hearld Tribune (www.iht.com)

  • New 'Guest Workers' Speak With German Accent
    Here in the formerly Communist eastern half of Germany, nearly 20 percent of the work force is unemployed. And countries like Britain, Ireland and above all the Netherlands, where unemployment has sunk to just 2.4 percent, are desperately looking for workers.
  • U.S. Endorses Call for Mideast
    Truce The United States on Monday endorsed a long-awaited report on the Middle East crisis that urges Israel and the Palestinians to cease violence immediately as a first step toward restoring trust and eventually renewing peace negotiations.
  • Bush Budget Returns to Reagan Tax Revolution
    With Congress nearing approval of the biggest tax cut in two decades, the Bush administration is poised to accomplish one of its less-noticed goals: setting the nation on a new fiscal course that could reshape the role and functions of the federal government for decades to come.
  • U.S.-Taiwan Relations Flourish Under Bush
    More than two decades after formally abandoning Taiwan in favor of ties with mainland China, the United States is again openly cozying up to the island, defying the spirit of agreements with Beijing, ignoring its protests and risking further setbacks in already tense relations.
  • Computer Rivals' Cross-Generational Grudge Match
    They represent the rival styles of the graying personal computer industry, and they don't seem to like each other very much. (Apple and Dell)
  • National Hero or Fiscal Scrooge? Japan’s Rebel With a Cause
    The popular author Yasuo Tanaka has a penchant for Versace leather suits, flight attendants and disclosing the intimate details of his many affairs.
  • Megawati Outlines a Vision for Future
    Indonesia's increasingly isolated president, Abdurrahman Wahid, moved closer Monday to being ousted as support for an impeachment hearing grew and his popular deputy and the military made veiled attacks on his leadership.

BBC (news.bbc.co.uk)

  • NHS plan hit by TV election row
    Labour's proposals for improving the NHS vie for attention with their claims about media tactics on the campaign trail.
  • China angry at US visits
    Beijing reacts angrily to visits to the US by Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian and the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
  • Concorde to fly 'by summer'
    British Airways says its supersonic jets should be flying again by late summer - a year after the fatal Air France Concorde crash.
  • World pushes for Mid-East ceasefire
    US diplomats begin meetings with Israeli and Palestinian leaders aimed at beginning implementation of the Mitchell report on halting the violence.
  • M&S profits continue to slide
    Troubled retailer Marks & Spencer reports a £74m fall in profits and moves its head office to a cheaper location.

New York Times (www.nytimes.com)

  • Senate Turns Down Efforts to Change Tax-Cut Measure
    Republicans maintained a united front as the Senate rejected efforts to change the tax-cut bill, President Bush's top legislative priority. A vote on the measure is expected on Tuesday.
  • Firestone to Stop Sales to Ford
    Bridgestone, acting ahead of Ford's expected effort to replace as many as 13 million more Firestone tires on its Explorer, said that it would stop selling tires to Ford.
  • Officials Long Debated Risks of Anti-Drug Patrol in Peru
    The anti-drug program that led to the downing of a plane carrying Americans in Peru last month has provoked intense government debate since its inception.
  • Times Names Raines as Successor to Lelyveld as Executive Editor
    Howell Raines, the editor of the editorial page of The New York Times for the last eight years, has been chosen to succeed Joseph Lelyveld as executive editor of the newspaper in September.

Panapress (African) (www.panapress.com)

  • ANC welcomes Boesak's release
    South Africa's ruling Africa National Congress (ANC) Tuesday expressed satisfaction over the release of renowned cleric Allan Boesak, after serving a year of his three-year jail term for fraud and theft.
  • Namibian gemstone traders, jewellers target US market
    A workshop is underway in Windhoek by manufacturers and traders of gemstones and jewellery in Namibia, to the assess market structure and channels of distribution for the prized products, the Namibia Chamber of Commerce said.
  • Nigerian community cautions compatriots
    The Nigerian Community in Kenya has warned its members to refrain from criminal acts that could taint the image of their country.
  • Powell expected in Bamako Wednesday
    US Secretary of State Colin Powell, accompanied by his wife and a high-powered delegation, is expected in Mali Wednesday on a two-day visit, official sources said Tuesday in Bamako.
  • Liberation Group wants Powell to postpone African tour
    Kenya-based African Liberation Initiative (ALI), Tuesday urged the US Secretary of State Colin Powell, to postpone his African tour until after the Africa Liberation Day, on 25 May.
  • Kenyan Bourse in major plunge
    Trading at Kenya's Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE) slumped to an all-time low in April 2001, with the All-share Index declining to below 1,800 mark.

China Daily (www.chinadaily.com.cn)

  • Great Measure: China lifts control over car prices
    China's central government delivered a clear signal on May 21 it would lift pricing controls on domestically-made cars, a "great measure'' hailed by analysts to activate auto consumption.
  • Smuggler could avoid death after return
    Premier Zhu Rongji has assured the Canadian government that the country's alleged biggest smuggler Lai Changxing will not be executed if it returns him to face trial, local Hong Kong newspapers reported on Tuesday.
  • US says Chen Shui-bian's visit no impact on China ties
    Taiwan leader Chen Shui-bian is expected to meet with New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and US lawmakers Tuesday during a brief private visit which the US State Department described as a stopover with no foreseeable impact on US-China ties.
  • Two HK police officers seriously hurt
    Two police officers were seriously wounded on Tuesday during a shoot-out with a suspected robbery gang in one of Hong Kong's busiest shopping and commercial areas. One police officer suffered a head wound while the other was shot in the shoulder as a gang member opened fire at them, witnesses said.
  • Beijing confident of a good Games if selected
    Inspired by a good evaluation report recently presented to Beijing, which is bidding to host the 2008 Olympic Games, the city's top bid official said yesterday that a brand-new Beijing is ready to show the world an unprecedented Games.
  • Cheney: EP-3 in bad shape, won't fly home
    The damaged U.S. spy plane that made an emergency landing in China last month will probably not be able to fly home and will have to be shipped out in crates, U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney said on Sunday. "The airplane will be returned, there have been negotiations under way," Cheney said on NBC's 'Meet the Press'. "My guess is it may well have to be crated out, partly because it's in bad shape."

The Moscow Times (www.themoscowtimes.com)

  • 7 on Trial In Attack On Perm OMON
    Seven men accused of participating in an attack on OMON troops in March are on trial in Dagestan.
  • Little Oil Company Fights Big Arctic War
    Inside the Arctic Circle is a petroleum war zone where Severnaya Neft is determined to leave its mark.
  • Sakharov Honored on 80th Birthday
    The late dissident Andrei Sakharov was honored with ceremonies in Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod on Monday.