Insomnia was written by Stephen King in 1994. This particular novel of King's presents us with one Ralph Roberts, who was getting less and less sleep every night, ever since his wife Carolyn died. After many months pass, after he had tried every folk remedy in the book, as well as questioning a pill-pusher in the back of a Rite-Aid he couldn't cure it. He just woke up earlier and earlier. In fact, everything short of seeing his doctor, the same one who had mis-diagnosed Carolyn's tumor.

Ralph thinks he's seeing auras, four months into his lack of sleep. And little bald doctors. And huge giant bags of despair, hovering over buildings and people.

That brings us to the famous feminist Susan Day, who's very rumor that she was coming to give a speech caused the town to be split in two. "Hey hey! Susan Day! How many kids did you kill today!" That's what they said, the pro-lifers. The local clinic, the one they called WomanCare, it was under accusations of committing abortions. It was true, of course. However, the pro-choicers wanted to stop at nothing to allow Susan Day to speak there. The pro-lifers wanted to stop at nothing to stop Susan Day from speaking, even killing her if necessary.

Poor little Ralph. No sleep for Ralph. And yet, he knew something horrible was to happen to Derry, Maine. And yet, it wasn't just about this Susan Day woman. It was about Derry.

I had good times with this novel. It wasn't exactly scary, but once the prologue was over, the story picked up, and it raised some very interesting questions on religion (for me, at least. And even if I state them, it would spoil stuff. A lot.) It's the kind of book that simply presents a good tale, and then ignites the thinking and discussion a while later. Sometimes, the events in the book would get a little confusing, (near the end, for example, because too much stuff was happening too fast) but the book usually sorts it out before it's too late. I upvote this book.