His full title is Sarva-daivatva Swaroopa Bhagawan Sri Sri Sri Satya Sai Baba.

He is an Advaita Hindu Guru who claims that he is the reincarnation of Shirdi Sai Baba (who attained samadhi in late 1910's), and the divine incarnation of Vishnu (this does not mean that he is Vishnu). 'Sai Baba' means "divine mother and father" or "divine god".

Satya Sai Baba was born in Puttaparthi, a small village in South India,on November 23, 1926. At age 14 (October 29, 1940) he realized who he was, and went to work to "bring about the spiritual regeneration of humanity". He is also well known for materializing small objects, such as fruit and watches.

Shirdi Sai Baba (the old Sai Baba) had helped incorporate Muslim ideas into Hinduism; Satya Sai Baba has continued this. He teaches that there is only one god, although he is known by many names (Vishnu, God, Allah, etc). There are a number of valid ways of worshiping this god, including mantras, religious readings, singing, and meditation. His followers are seeking Enlightenment through good thoughts, good acts, and faith in god and Sai Baba.

Among other good works, he has since set up an education system consisting of primary schools, secondary schools, and an accredited university. He has also built a well equipped 300-bed hospital. Both the hospital and the schools are free of charge to anyone, of any religion, race, or social class.

He has already predicted his next reincarnation; he will come back again as Prema Sai Baba, one year after his death.

Satya Sai Baba has been accused of both sleight of hand (to aid his miracles) and sexual molestation. I don't know enough to say if these are true, but it seems likely that they are.


I have come to light the lamp of love in your hearts, to see that it shines day by day with added luster. I have come to tell you of this universal, unitary faith, this spiritual principle, this path of love, this duty of love, this obligation to love. Every religion teaches man to fill his being with the glory of God and to evict the pettiness of conceit. It trains him in the methods of unattachment and discernment, so that he may aim high and attain spiritual liberation. Believe that all hearts are motivated by the one and only God; that all faiths glorify the one and only God; that all names in all languages and all forms man can conceive denote the one and only God. His adoration is best done by means of love. Cultivate that attitude of oneness between men of all creeds and all countries. That is the message of love I bring. That is the message I wish you to take to heart.
-- Sathya Sai Baba

Let the different faiths exist, let them flourish, and let the glory of God be sung in all the languages and a variety of tunes. That should be the ideal. Respect the differences between the faiths and recognize them as valid as long as they do not extinguish the flame of unity.
--Sathya Sai Baba


Other references:
http://www.sathyasai.org/ (International Sai Organization webpage)
http://www.saibaba.org/ (Shri Sai Baba)