Se7en's Deadly Sins

Friday
(Somerset, to Mills' wife) I remember getting up one morning and going to work. Just another day, like any other day, only it was the first day after I found out about the pregnancy. And I felt this fear for the first time ever. I remember thinking how can I bring a child into a world like this. How can a person grow up with all this around them. I told her I didn't want it, and after a few weeks, I wore her down. Looking back, I mean, I know that I did the right thing. But there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I had made a different choice. If you don't keep the baby, don't ever tell him you were pregnant. But if you choose to have this baby, you spoil that kid every chance you get. That's about all the advice I can give you, Tracy.

(Mills, later in the office) Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda.

Crime scenes, or better, the scene where crimes were thought up, where they pummeled the mind of the killer. And we go in, with rubber gloves and plastic bags, to make sense of someone else's sense.

Saturday
(Cashier at leather shop) I thought he was a performance artist, that's what I thought. You know, the kind of guy who pisses into a cup on stage and then drinks it. Performance art.

Down stairs painted in murels, hot red lights flashing. The music drowns out whatever thoughts would prevent the current events to unfold. A prostitute tied to a bed, dead. Her patron shod in the weapon of her execution. He screams and shakes, contorts while in his mind the events play themselves over and over.

Two men in two rooms. One who is used to it, another who is new. So a man finds two people engaging in lust, which the man carves on the hotel door. He takes the scenario a notch further than was intended, taking it past the present titilation to the death which he believes is the only justice.

(Somerset) People don't want a champion. They want to eat cheeseburgers, play the lotto, and watch TV.
(Mills) Man, how did you get like this?
(Somerset) Well, it wasn't one thing, I can assure you of that. I just don't think I can continue to live in a place that embraces and nurtures apathy as if it were a virtue.
(Mills) You're no different. You're no better.
(Somerset) I never said I was different or better. Hell I sypathize. I sympathize completely. It's easier to lose yourself in drugs than it is to cope with the life. It's easier to steal something than it is to earn it. It's easier to beat a child that to raise. Love costs, takes effort and work.

Mills come home from the bar and slides next to his wife in bed. Two parallel bodies exhausted. Mills cannot lose his hope, for he still has love, incredible love for this woman.

We know that lust can sometimes end marriages, or lives, now that sex can kill you. Is there only lust of the flesh? Can we look at various other stimulants with lust? There are certain foods that give us that pleasure, or alcohol, when it's what we crave. Anything we put into our mouth can easily take the place of a lover's flesh. Lust is a constant that needs to be maintained at equal levels among those involved. For a prostitute, it's a business. For a girlfriend whose lover has invited a third party to bed, it can be spirit crushing. Through ignorance of what we truly want, we are often led to take what is before us, stuffing it into our bodies as though it will fill the void within us. And it might, for a time. It might for years. But, in my experience, not enough to grow old with, not enough to fill me.

Go back to:
Avarice
Envy
Wrath
Pride
Gluttony
Sloth