I believe that the Segway Personal Transporter is an amazing invention. It perfectly bridges the gap between the monotony of walking and the adrenaline rush of skateboarding. It allows people to stand still while they are moving.

But in its strength lies its weakness. People that ride Segways miss out on the exercise that is enjoyed by the people who are still walking. What can be done to correct this deficiency?

I suggest that the best solution to this problem is to integrate a treadmill into the Segway Personal Transporter. To that end, I began tinkering last week with a prototype.

I started with a Bowflex Treadclimber TC1000 because the actual tread portion of the device is separated into left and right halves (one for each foot) and each half is only 6 inches wide by 24 inches long. After installing some bracketing and extra support struts, the sizing was a perfect fit for my Segway.

The actual build went amazingly well but I ran into some unexpected performance issues the first time I test drove it.

Because the servos and gyros that constitute the control system of the Segway are so finely tuned, I experienced severe and increasing stability problems. Every time I raised my foot on the Treadclimber, the Segway would lurch in the opposite direction. To correct for the sudden lurch, I would instinctively grab on to the Segway's handle and drop the foot I had just raised. This would cause an even greater lurch to the other side. At one point the buffeting was so bad that I cracked a rib and had to seek medical attention.

Through endless hours of experimentation and trial and error, I eventually overcame these technical hurdles.

I now have the best of both worlds. I have a Segway that allows me to relax as I navigate the sidewalks of my life and I have a treadmill to keep me in shape as I ride my Segway.

Life is good.