A couple of small points...first off, it wasn't Microsoft Basic but either Integer Basic (on the Apple //) or Applesoft Basic (on the Apple //e). Okay, so Applesoft was close...but it wasn't the same. :-)

Also, the behavior of the Reset key on the Apple // could be changed by setting DIP switches. On one setting (I believe the one mcc describes above) it would only work in concert with the Ctrl and Apple keys. Most owners I spoke to, however, would set it to simply function on its own; this would bypass the 'soft restart' routines in the ROMs and cause it to send a Non-Maskable Interrupt to the CPU by pulling the NMI pin low on the 6502. This would be the equivalent of the hardware reset button on a Mac. The behavior of the key when set to 'soft restart' would depend on the address pointer stored in the reset vector and the code located at said address. For an amusing method of panicking tyro Apple // owners, see screen slip.

Oh, and the hexadecimal memory debugger referenced above is actually named the Mini-Assembler, and was a fully functional disassembler and hex entry environment that also lived entirely in the ROMs. That computer was damn amazing. Not only did all that stuff live in hardware, but there were complete code listouts in the manual.

Sigh. I miss my Apple //.