When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.

Samuel Johnson


London is one crazy, beautiful city. She started as a mile square and grew to be the first city with over one million inhabitants. She's been obliterated by flame and pestilence. She's been bombed and mobbed. But she's as constant as the Thames flowing through her. It's taken me a great many years to feel anything that might resemble affection for her, but I have always respected her. And yes, London's definitely a she. So when Junkill announced his intention to pay the Britnoders a visit, I leapt at the opportunity to see what I could organise.

However, London's a very expensive city. In fact, according to some clever economics-y types, London is the second most expensive city in the world, after, believe-it-or-not, Moscow. Doubtless she seems excruciatingly expensive for anyone outside of the M25. Inside the M25 is bad enough. So that our guest of honour wouldn't be economically crippled and in the hope that other people would join the party, I set about organising the cheapest meet in London I could. Thusly, I present to you:

London for free or at the most the cost of a one day travel card.

It's about seeing as many interesting aspects of London as can be managed without spending any money, or passing out from exhaustion. And being me, there'll be lots of history involved. That's why we'll be meeting by the bronze statue of Boudicca not very far from Westminster tube station, and we'll move forwards in time from there. You can expect a few monuments, some bridges and boats, maybe a church or two, and possibly even a cemetery. In traditional nodermeet fashion, we'll finish in a pub. (But that bit won't be free. Sorry.)

This is going to involve a lot of walking, and possibly some time on the tube, so you'll need to be prepared. It's also April, in the UK. The weather will be about as predictable as the Grand National: I'd advise layers, with something waterproof on top. As for lunch, I'll be bringing my own. It'll be Pesach, which means that I can't eat out. I'm inclined to suggest that other people do something similar, but if there are vehement objections we can rethink it.

Interested? 11 a.m., Saturday 26 April 2008. By the statue of Boudicca. I'll be the small one with the rucksack, comfy shoes, and A-Z.

Junkill will be the bewildered looking American.
Andrew Aguecheek will be the one that used to have long hair, but doesn't anymore.
Dimview will be the excited one.
Sam512 will be the one looking for the time machine.
Hazelnut will be the one doing a good impression of Boudicca.
Heisenberg will be the one who joins us later.
BaronWR will be spotting cool things to occupy him when he moves to London.
voltaireontoast will be breaking her nodermeet virginity.
Wntrmute will be the one with the entourage.
DTal will be the one with the calculator.