The Crying Game is a Neil Jordan film. It is a romantic thriller that stars Stephen Rea as Fergus and Miranda Richardson as Jude; both are Irish terrorists who kidnap Forest Whitaker playing Jody. It is through him that Fergus learns of Dil played by Jaye Davidson as Jody's exotic girlfriend. The film was released in 1992 and garnered much attention from audiences everywhere.

The tagline for the film is:
"The movie everybody's talking about, but nobody's giving away its secret."

The film is a masterpiece which begins as an IRA agent, Jude, lures Jody, a British soldier, into a trap. He befriends Jude another IRA agent who is set with the task of executing him.

Much of the movie is quiet and somewhat haunting, created by the choice of music. There are no loud explosions or intense action made up of many cuts. Instead it takes a quieter mood and there's more dialogue that makes you think. The realism of the conditions that Jody goes through as a captive of the IRA is also well done. There are also moments of humour which adds to the realism of the characters and shows that they are human.

The film was nominated for multiple oscars including Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, Best Film Editing, and Best Picture. Of these the movie won for Best Original Screenplay by Neil Jordan.

Other Neil Jordan films that are better known follows:

The End of the Affair
Interview with the Vampire
High Spirits
Michael Collins
In Dreams
The Company of Wolves