"It's okay. I've been waiting for the phone to ring all night. Don't hang up. Talk to me."

He could have hung up the phone then, but he paused.

"I care about what you have to say. I know why you were making this phone call and I want you to know that I need to hear the words you have to say."

Her soothing words did not help him feel any more comfortable about what he was doing. This wasn't right. He couldn't express his emotions this way.

"I won't judge you on anything you say. I'll listen. I've been prepared for weeks."

He couldn't break up with this woman. Even though he had prepared his thoughts and worked up the resolve for days now, it just wasn't working. Trying to speak the words now would only ring hollow.

"Speak to me. Say it. We both need this. Please. I've been expecting this for so long and I just can't stand it any longer."

His head fell into his hands and gently rocked back and forth. The phone was still pressed hard against his ear, being gently crushed by the pressure exerted by the palm of his right hand. He couldn't bear to do it.

"I don't care if you called the wrong number. Tell me what you would have said if you called the right number. We both need the closure."

He said nothing and hung up the phone. Then he realized he would never have the opportunity to call her again.

Maybe she had caller ID.