As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an "uplift" for the bord following. By flying in a V formation, the whole flock adds 71% more flying range than if each bird flew alone.

Lesson: people who share a common direction and a sense of community can get where they are going quicker because they are traveling on the the thrust of one another.


Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to fly alone, and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the "lifting power" of the bird immediatly in front.

Lesson: it pays to take turns doing hard tasks, and sharing leadership-for people, as with geese, are interpendent with each other.


The geese in formation honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Lesson: we need to be sure that honking from behind is encouraging and constructive in nature - not something less helpful.

When a goose gets sick or wounded or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly again or dies. Them they launch out to find another formation or catch up with their flock.


Lesson: if we have as much sense as the geese do, we'll stand by each other.



**For more lessons from animals see The Animal School Fable and The Blind Men and the Elephant