No, they don't eat them, if that's what you're thinking. But if you are thinking that, I don't blame you. See, I thought the same thing.....until today. Just some advice: never let your dog get near a dead fish. EVER!

Today I went hiking. Took the dogs. Had a lovely time. My dog loves the mountains. So did the guy's dogs I was with. We'll just call the guy Bob. Anyway, about halfway through the hike, we stop at a lake to catch a breather. The dogs are running around and having fun, as dogs do. One dog, Euripides, a particularly adventurous sort (you know the kind), decided it would be fun to take a dip in the lake. And then the fun began.....

I really wasn't paying attention. Suffice it to say, the next thing I remember, the dog comes walking out of the lake with a disgusting dead fish in its mouth. I doubt the dog killed it; it must have already been dead. Bob and I watch with a mixture of horror and disgust, pretty much thinking that the dog was gonna eat the thing. But no! The dog proceeds the take the mangled thing, set it on the ground....

..... And roll around it in it! He rolled and rolled in the maimed fish body, rolled until there was just bones and skin left. His whitish fur had turned a yellowish tint, and don't get me started on the smell. Pretty much everybody knows the strong, disgusting (at least to me) smell of fish. Like that.... only this one was dead and rotting! Bob cussed Euripides out pretty much continuously for the rest of the hike, and wrapped the incorrigible thing in a blanket on the ride home. Needless to say, it didn't really work. The car will probably smell like rotting fish guts for the duration of its life. As for me, I'm glad that wasn't my dog and I sure as hell am keeping my dog away from fish of any sort - blech!

So, whenever you see your dog coming out of the water with a dead fish either 1: run, 2: shoot the bastard, or 3: call the pound, because it'll make your life miserable.


This public service announcement has been brought to you by National Forest Service