Pager codes are used to identify the people paging someone and/or their intentions. Common uses include increasing the apparent urgency of a page, sending cute messages, communicating death wishes, etc. They are very handy when someone pages you but they aren't at home. This way, using codes assigned to people who have your pager number, you don't have to call back an unidentified number and ask the ever embarrasing question, "Who at this number just paged me?"

Common Codes And Their Meanings

007: I have a secret.
13: Bad day!
180: I love you.
666: Very Bad Things.
911: Return call immediately; high priority indicator.
619: Wish you were here.

You get the idea. Just make sure you don't give anyone an identification number that is also a code you use.

Identification numbers are used by putting them before or after the number. On my pager, a Blue Streak Motorola LS550, I prefer a 3-digit code at the beginning, so when it splits up the area code/exchange/number, it comes up as such:

PIN-EXC-XXXX

In which PIN is the caller's ID number, EXC is the exchange of the number, and XXXX is last four digits of the phone number. The splitting up of numbers on a pager varies on a per model basis, so methods of pager code use will differ.

When choosing ID numbers for people, make it something sensible that you will remember. Some examples are:
1. The first three digits of the last four of their phone number. (IE: If their phone number is 123-456-7890, their PIN is 789)
2. Lucky numbers or dates. (IE: If your girlfriend's birthday is January 3rd, her code might be 013)
3. Their sport's jersey number. (IE: If your best friend's jersey is number 5, his PIN might be 005)

Hope you found this write-up useful. Happy paging!