Previously...

After breakfast, we headed toward Rheims, our objective for the day, winding our way gently through the southern Ardennes from Sedan. We stopped at various villages on the way, looking at the churches and so on. We got to Rheims about lunchtime, and ate at a café in an ugly modern shopping centre which looked like a bunch of Swiss chalets. Opposite the shops was the site of our first visit: the Basilica of St Remy, the archbishop of Rheims who baptised Clovis, King of the Franks. The present building in about a thousand years old, and stands on the site of a monastery which dates back to Roman times. We spent an hour in the church, marvelling at the architecture and the skill in rebuilding - the church was gutted by shelling in 1917. The church forms part of a World Heritage site, along with the Cathedral and the Palais du Tau, both of which we had seen on a visit last year, and the Musée St Rémi, which is where we went next.

The Museum holds a vast collection of material from prehistoric times down to the Renaissance, and is housed in the rebuilt cloisters of the abbey. We spent a fascinating couple of hours wandering around it, looking at Roman pillars carved with the images of syncretic Celtic deities, medieval statues recovered from shelled buildings, and relics of the city's Christian heritage over the past 1700 years. Of particular interest at the Basilica had been a wall covered with diamond-shaped medieval stones with leaded pictures of bible scenes on. In the museum I found a stone from the set which I realised had been missing from the wall in the church: the destruction of Sodom.

Then we moved on, through the steady rain, to the Piper-Heidseick champagne 'caves' - extensive cellars running beneath the streets of the city. Although not part of the extensive Gallo-Roman and Medieval catacombs incorportated into some of the other firms' cellars, the Heidseick complex is nevertheless over two hundred years old in part. An electric 'gondola' car took us through the passages, where the history and technique of champagne production is illustrated with an impressive light and sound display. Piper-Heidseick is Hollywood's favourite champagne, and part of the exhibition consisted of signed photographs of film stars past and present drinking the product or visiting the cellars. Our fellow-passengers in the car were an American couple, and after the tour was over, we all sat and tasted champagne together and chatted. Eventually, we had to walk back to the car and return to Sedan for dinner, which was again pleasant.

Subsequently...