HullTrains is the newest of the United Kingdom's private train operating companies. Established in 2000, it operates a small fleet of Class 170 Turbostar units, similar to those on Midland Mainline over a single route. In 2005, the company intends to replace its stock with older but faster and larger Intercity 125 sets, to shave another 20 minutes off journey times. HullTrains is operated by GB Railways, owners of the Anglia Railways franchise. The company is notable for its professed commitment to cheap and easy-to-understand fares, something not easily found on Britain's railways today.

Those sole function of HullTrains' service is to ferry passengers rapidly between the eastern East Midlands and London. In this it parallels Midland Mainline's routes, but runs even further to the east, providing the only dedicated fast rail service from London to Lincolnshire at Grantham. However, due to the small size of the fleet, there are only four services a day in each direction on weekdays, and three at weekends. These are spaced evenly through the day, so that there is only one feasible commuter train a day, but more general travel needs are fairly well served.

    Hull
      |
   Brough
      |
    Selby
      |
  Doncaster
      |
  Grantham
      |
   London
King's Cross

Connections to Arriva Northern at Hull, Selby and Doncaster; to GNER and Midland Mainline at Doncaster and King's Cross; to Central Trains at Grantham; and to Thameslink and other services at King's Cross. London Underground Circle, Metropolitan, Hammersmith and City, Northern, Victoria and Piccadilly Line connections from King's Cross St Pancras.