Bizarre would definitely be the word i would use to describe this series, and it only gets weirder after the first saga. (The story is broken into four sagas, or parts, The Student Council, Black Rose, Ohtori Akio, and Apocalypse Sagas). In fact, things just get stranger and stranger as the 39-episode series goes on. Of course that doesnt mean that it isnt great - it is. Original and fun, with a unique animation style, odd music and an unavoidably out-there premise, somehow this show manages to be practically addictive, despite its undeniable oddity. And in the end, as the final moments of the series play out, when you sit gripping your (friend's arm, couch pillow, knees) until your knuckles turn white, the show actually manages to present a coherent moral/theme/philosophy, something (imho) many anime series attempt, but few accomplish.

However, and this might be considered a spoiler, if you are unduly offended by incest or homosexuality, or innuendoes thereof, this might not be the series for you.

Note; Chu-Chu, the required cute animal bit part, is a monkey. yes, he is the size of a mouse, he looks like a mouse, but hes a monkey.

A movie was recently released as well, Shoujo Kakumei Utena: Adolescence Mokushiroku (Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse), though it is a 'parallel world' extension of the series, rather than a direct retelling or continuation of the anime and manga.

And, just for your enjoyment, here is the (infamous) chick speech