Doctor Who is the longest, continuously running Science Fiction series ever and has millions of sometimes Anorak-wearing fans, known as whovians, around the world, though most of us look nothing like Dwane Dibly in Red Dwarf. The main character, the Doctor, has had companions too numerous to mention and fought numerous villians, such as the Master, the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Silurians and Sea Devils, the Loch Ness Monster, Ice Warriors, Omega, and even his own race, the Time Lords. The Doctor is from Gallifrey.

Doctor Who ran on the BBC from 1963 to 1989 and appeared in a Tele-Film for FOX in 1996. It can currently be seen on many stations around the world. A list of these stations is provided weekly in This Week in Doctor Who.

Doctor Who was created by Sidney Newman, Warris Hussein and the BBC's first female producer Verity Lambert. In the 1970's the team of Barry Letts and the prolific Terrence Dicks produced some of the classic episodes of the series, including the first episodes in colour and featuring the third actor to play the role, Jon Pertwee. Letts / Dicks was followed by Philip Hinchcliffe and the late, great Robert Holmes, who produced the majority of the episodes with the man best known as the Doctor, Tom Baker. Later during the Tom Baker years, a young, inexperienced Douglas Adams became producer of the series for its 17th and least regarded season. For it's final years, John Nathan-Turner took over the series until he became so bored with it the BBC put it out to pasture. It would not emerge again until Paul McGann would replace Sylvester McCoy in the 1996 Tele-Film produced by Philip Seagal. Sadly, due to lack of foresight, the BBC deleted much of their stock of classic 1960's Doctor Who stories featuring the original Doctors, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. Currently Big Finish Audio are producing new Doctor Who serials on CD featuring the Doctors of the 1980s, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy as well as new seasons of the only Doctor to have only one on-screen appearance, Paul McGann.

The Doctor ALWAYS had 12 regenerations, the segments between actors, allowing for a total of 13 lives or actors.