Today was a depressing day. I drove back to Calgary from Saskatoon today, after leaving my girlfriend there for her summer job. She's staying with relatives, and working at the University of Saskatchewan doing work in her field. Its a very good thing for her, especially since she's considering doing grad school there, what with the Canadian Light Source coming online soon and all.

It was a semi-interesting trip. As interesting as the flat lands between Saskatoon and Calgary can be anyway. The most interesting part was the Red Deer river valley, which is sort of badlandish. Other than that, you have a lot of little rolling hills and gullies that aren't much after living in the shadow of the mountains for all your life.

As I drove out of the 50 zone in this small town, I hear a weird noise, as if had run over something. It sounded pretty serious and didn't go away as I accelerated; it got worse. I slammed on the brakes, got out, and looked around a bit, and found that the stone guard had broken off on the right side near the bumper. It's held on at four points, two plastic brackets connect it to the bumper at the front, and two plastic connectors hold it one further back. The plastic connector on the right must have come off at some point, so every bump I went over flexed the plastic bracket until it broke. The stone guard was now dragging on the ground, and the sound I heard was my front tire catching it. I pulled off the other connector deal and broke off the other bracket since I didn't have a proper wrench to take it off with, and no wire to hold the right side on with. So I had to remember to stay off gravel roads and to get that fixed. They'll have to replace the whole bumper I think, which probably won't be cheap...

I was sort of fighting getting depressed all the way home, and once I got there I broke down for about half an hour. It dawned on me that I had left my best friend in the world, the only person I've every really missed (in my adult life), in a place very far away, and that I wouldn't see her for at least a month. Well, there's more to be expressed here, mostly about my feelings of isolation and so no, but I'm out of words for today.